Meditation for binge eating
Everything changed when I realised recovering from binge eating was an inside job not another diet!!
As someone who has always battled with my weight and hating my body, all I wanted was to be normal around food, I wanted to eat out of choice not urges!!
Stopping binge eating required me to alter my beliefs in my self worth and my body. The emotions that drove me to binge the most was anxiety, fear and loneliness this was my life for many years. I never told anyone because I didn’t think I had a binge eating problem, I thought I had a food problem. “I just have to find the right diet and this will stop” was a recurring thought in my mind.
My biggest lesson from my experience was learning to process my emotions instead of avoiding them. Meditation was a tool I used to become aware of what I was feeling in the first place, without it my mind would never have let me go there. The scary part was that I didn’t even realise I was feeling anxious, fear or loneliness, I have shoved my awareness of these feelings in such a dark corner that I didn’t even recognise them for what they were, all I had was finding comfort in pastries.
Meditation helps with
* Self acceptance and compassion
* Reducing feelings of self loathing and guilt from overeating
* Awareness of emotions or physical discomfort which usually triggers a binge)
* Awareness around cravings and urges
I know you don’t want to deal with the guilt of overeating anymore so here’s a quick meditation to help you get out of the binge-guilt cycle
* Find a comfortable spot where you won’t be disturbed
* Take 3 deep breaths and close your eyes
* Observe the breath as it enters your lungs, feel how your chest expands
* Exhale slowly and feel the breath leaves your body
* Repeat this cycle 5 times
* On the next inhale say the words “I forgive myself for being so hard on myself “
* On the exhale “I let go guilt from overeating”
* Repeat this till you feel more at ease and the guilt has released from your body and mind.
If you would like help to come up with a plan to get out of the binge/guilt cycle, apply for my complimentary food freedom planning session,